Very interesting challenge this week offered by guest CZT Amy from Tennessee. We were to use our own beverage of choice to create a stain on a tile and use that stain as a string. Coffee was my beverage of choice – so handy at that time of the day. I added a few grounds to the wetness in order to get a darker stain. Here is what I ended up with:
A strange string, no doubt, and I had to take a day to contemplate what I might do with it. As I was thinking about it, I roamed my books and TanglePatterns looking for inspiration.
It took awhile to get the inspiration and I can’t say that I ever experienced an AHA! moment.
An aside —- We just got a new laptop with Windows 8 on it so I am trying to adapt to an new way of doing things and it isn’t easy. Frustration in figuring out how to do things is driving me up the wall. So scanning, editing, getting around a document, the web, even the desktop on this contraption is all just that much different that I have to discover how to do it all over again. Scanning nearly had me in tears!!! Okay, enough, I will get on to the task at hand. (I hope)
Here it is without the benefit of shading.
Tangles used are: MI2, Purk, Shattuck, Bunzo, Marasu, Tipple and a slight bit of Hollibaugh-ness. It’s difficult to tell, but I used a brown Micron pen for a bit of the MI2. I wished I had used it somewhere else on the tile as well. Maybe next time.
Shaded and highlighted
Shading and highlighting adds so much more to the whole effect. I added highlights with a white Gelly Roll pen and a white charcoal pencil.
When I teach a class I often tell students to prop their tile up in a place they can see it the next morning. As they approach it they will discover that what they were unhappy with the day before had improved overnight and they will see it with new admiring eyes.
This was an unusual and interesting challenge. I may do this kind of string again just to see what else I could come up with. Until next time, tangle on, my friends.